This option will reset the home page of Loan Advices: You Ask – We answer | All About Loan Issues restoring closed widgets and categories.

Reset Loan Advices: You Ask – We answer | All About Loan Issues homepage

How to transfer car loan to my name?

Babe21 asked:

My boyfriend has gotten a dui recently and his insurance went up like crazy tripling how much he use to pay. To avoid paying for the high insurance rate for the next 4 or so years, he suggested that he transfer his Wachovia car loan to me. How do I go about to doing that? Do I contact Wachovia first? Do I then have to get a car loan from the bank for the remaining amount of his car? By the way, my credit score is excellent. Thanks your answers.
Asked on: 2012-12-18 02:10:34


  1. ElGrande says:

    You’re playing with fire.

    I’ll skip the lecture around “you should NEVER sign on to a car loan for a boyfriend/girlfriend, only for a spouse” and go into the legalities.

    You can’t just have a loan “transferred” to your name. You need to follow these steps:

    1) Have him call Wachovia and get a 10-day payoff amount on the loan.
    2) YOU have to then go and see if you can get a loan (from your bank/credit union, or other lending source… you can even use Wachovia if they can get you a good rate).
    3) Once approved, purchase the vehicle from your BF. Your BF needs to make sure the loan he currently has is paid in full. Only then can he transfer ownership to you/your bank.
    4) Make sure everything is now in your name (keep in mind, adding him to your insurance as a driver means they’ll probably see that DUI and charge you accordingly). You need to make sure you cover yourself in the event that you and he split company. If you two break up, the car is yours.

    Here’s the kicker… you have to get the bank to give you enough to cover your BF’s loan. You have to make sure the loan value on the car will be enough for them to OK it. For example… if your BF had a ’05 Mustang that he owed $15K on, and the loan value on the car was only $12K, you’d have to cover that $3K in cash.

    Good luck.

  2. Hello, i am MARY PARKER from New YorK, i saw your question on yahoo answer and i want to refer you to the international loan company that help me consolidate my depth ,when i was searching for loan and i was in a bad shape, a friend of mine introduce me to CLARKE LOAN FIRM that help me get out of my depth, the company offer all kinds of loan to any where in the world at a very low interest rate and even if you have a bad credit and low income they still offer service so long you agree to the repayment information, they are the only international loan company that can help you get a quality loan with a fast transfer without any upfront fees

    .contact them and i am sure they will be of great help to you .within 24hours. here is their contact

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.